Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Found in Ottawa – Ambiguous Authenticity - maireener shells

CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO ENLARGE

PROVENANCE INFORMATION: "As for this necklace - I rescued it from a bag of jewellery selling for $5 at a flea market this past weekend. This is the first shell necklace I've ever owned and it simply called out to me because if its vibrant colours ... The necklace is strung on what appears to be green cotton (two strands). There is no clasp. The shells are pierced with holes at the top for the thread to go through ... It measures 28 inches ... The shells are quite large - measuring on average between 8 to 10mm ... From what I've read it seems these might be on the larger size - but I'm really not sure .. The colour is shimmering and iridescent. I can't tell if the shells are dyed or not ... Several shells have damage - and some flaking and a few chipped off "end bits" ..." Pers. com _ AV Ottawa-6510

Note: This necklace is unlikely to have been dyed as it presents with strong colour and it seems that those of pale colour were the ones that were typically dyed. Pre WW2 it may have been the Martin family who dyed their shells and it seems they, or some other maker of that era, achieved a subtle result. Bertie May seemed to be the primary 'marketer/manufacturer' post WW2 and the evidence seems to point to his colouration being somewhat more brash.

1 comment:

mussellady said...

What a gorgeous piece! I agree- I don't believe the shells are dyed- judging by the fact that the color is graduated from the last whorl (darker) to the tip (much lighter). Stunning! Shells can vary with locality; the 8 to 10 mm size is right for irisodontes, and apicinus can reach up to 20 mm. Even tho these are greener than apicinus I've yet seen, I lean toward it due to the pink tips on many here. Just as a side point, the King Maireener, P. eximius, can reach 40 mm. Nice find, lucky you!!!!